Sunday 27 March 2016

Notes on... Red Dead Redemption 2

Readers may have encountered my recap on the classic Rockstar Games title Red Dead Redemption, which granted gamers the right to experience the spaghetti western in its own way...



Well, I've recently been reading that a sequel may be coming out this year or next, and I just felt I had to share some ideas (and worries!) about this event (some of which were mentioned in the recap)...


Personally, I'm hoping I won't have to sit through a million cut-scenes again which continually robbed the pace of the gaming action and didn't really add a whole lot of emotion or memorable moments (in comparison to the game itself). Keep it tight people at Rockstar! It seems that sandbox games in particular suffer from this disease. You can't keep pulling people away from the action, despite the reward for encountering a 'storyline moment'. Instead, why not keep it slick and atmospheric, with more emphasis on a dynamic gaming world that pushes the envelope of immersion.


Even having dialogue choices - I find - detracts from the freedom of acting in the game-world itself. 


What was so impressive about Red Dead Redemption was its freedom, its dynamic world, graphical detail and scale, with so much action embedded in it.


I do think there needs to be a strong storyline, but the more surprising ways to find it, the more concise and the more potential outcomes within it... the better! 

No comments:

Post a Comment